There are a lot of foods I miss but I think my all time favorite (next to mac n cheese) is biscuits and gravy. My mom made it every weekend, my grandpa would cook it every time we visited, and I always ordered it when we went out to eat for breakfast.
I have found biscuits and gravy that are gluten free, but a lot of times that means i’m eating meat or still having dairy. I wanted to find a way to make them as delicious as I remember while being gluten free and completely plant based.
Ya’ll, we did it! Our mouths were watering and our eyes were wide! We couldn’t believe how good it tastes! So i’ll stop talking and tell you what to do:
- Beyond Meat Ground Beef (you could use impossible too)
- Oat Milk
- Bobs Red Mill Flour
- Dairy Free Butter
- Baking Powder
- Spicy Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425ºF
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups flour, 1tbsp baking powder, 1tbsp sugar and 1tsp salt. Cut in 6tbsp butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Slowly add 1 cup oat milk and stir until dough just comes together (it may not be necessary to use all the milk). Dough will be wet and sticky.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times. Gently roll or pat dough to 1 inch thick. Cut biscuits with a 3-inch biscuit cutter or wide-mouthed drinking glass. Or do what I did and just make some balls that look somewhat like biscuits. Place biscuits on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Brush tops of biscuits with butter.
- Warm up your cast iron pan before placing the block of frozen ‘meat’ onto the pan. Cook until golden brown. I added in cajun seasoning and garlic powder when it was about halfway done.
- Prepare the heavy cream: Add 2 cups of oat milk and 1/3 cup melted butter into a blender and blend until thick.
- Add 1tbsp of butter to the cooked ‘meat’, 2tbsp of flour and stir until it is all combined.
- Add in the heavy cream slowly until you get the consistency you are looking for.
- Add salt & pepper and if you like spice we loved adding cajun seasoning to ours!
We hope you enjoy and feel a little less left out this holiday season! Be sure to tag us @theggoldenroad so we can see the delicious meal you create!
Want to be the first to know when we come out with a new recipe? Fill in your email below!